News

Looking Back

by
June 15, 2017

Kyabram's St. Vincent De Paul centre volunteers hard at work sorting through winter stock in August 1985. Lucy Mangan, Hilda Baumann, Norma Reid, Moira Anderson Cathy O'Brien and Pat Kilmartin.

Vinnies volunteers in 1985

Volunteers at St Vincent De Paul Centre, Kyabram were kept busy in 1985 with sorting through stock, pricing and selling items in the store.

The main source of income came from the sale of second-hand goods including clothing, manchester, furniture, kitchenware and a large variety of articles.

All of which was generously donated by members of the community.

The Kyabram Conference of St Vincent De Paul has been helping the disadvantaged in the community since it was first formed in 1934.

A group of local Catholic men held their meetings outside St Augustine’s Church after Mass on a Sunday.

Les Evans was the first president of the conference from 1934 -1950 where the wash-house at his home was used for storing supplies and donated goods.

Later, these were stored in a shed on his son Jack’s property.

In the beginning funds were raised by church collections, donations and the sales of bottles and scrap, with the first deposit in the bank amounting to twelve shillings and fourpence.

The first financial assistance was given as a payment of five shillings and sixpence.

In the 1950s premises were rented for a week every three months and excess goods and clothing was sold by volunteers from the Catholic Ladies’ Guild.

The first full-time store was in the shop vacated by Pharmacist – Russ Pruden in 1970 (formerly known as Mr Nuttall’s Chemist and now Leading Edge Telecoms 232 Allan St. Kyabram).

In the past the St Vincent De Paul Centre held an annual street stall, with funds raised going to Ozanam House for the homeless men as well as to the general running of the Kyabram Store.

A move was made into the present store in May 1973 and many changes have been made to the building and organisation since that time.

- Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary library, from information written by Maria Radanov.

40 years

A QUEEN’S Guide presentation was held at the Girgarre Hall recently for Girgarre guide, Janet Varcoe.

Janet, of the First Girgarre Guide Company, was presented with the Queen’s Guide Badge at the ceremony.

The First Girgarre Brownie Pack put on the play, ‘‘The Legend of the Brownies’’ followed by singing from the Guides.

The presentation then took place with the District Commissioner, Mrs Betty Coleman, giving the progress of Janet through Brownies and Guides. Guide leader Mrs Jean Varcoe presented Janet with the Queen’s Guide Badge and among those to offer congratulations to Janet were region commissioner Mrs Jean Watters, Division Commissioner Mrs Margaret Hacon, Brownie Leader Mrs Shirley Pyke, Shire President Cr R.P. Thompson and L.A. President Mrs N. Ryan.

20 years

A 17 and under Kyabram team competed at Melbourne Country Week Championship over the long weekend.

The first day’s play saw Kyabram win five games and draw one, leaving it in first position on its court. On Sunday, the team played its way through to the quarter-finals, after a draw, two wins and one loss. Last year’s premiers and more senior side Western Border was too strong for the talented young Kyabram side.

Cynna Neele goaled accurately all weekend and was supported well in the circle by Lianna Cox and Skye Engwerda. Eloise Parr and Steph Reynard worked hard on the wings and Nikki Pell showed great determination when she took the court. Young guns Hayley Dunn, Erin Kelly and Katie Kennon, still eligible for 15 and under, played inspiring netball and showed they were more than up to the task.

By
More in Regional
Login Sign Up

Dummy text