In what was believed to be the first time in the football club’s history, the Deniliquin Rams were forced to forfeit their game in the reserves on Saturday.
Injuries and players being away has taken its toll on the club, who have had many players come out of retirement on occasions in the past couple of years in order to field a reserves side.
Reserves coach Brian King said the biggest problem at the club is getting players to commit to playing every week.
‘‘Everyone has other things going on in their lives and I get that, but footy seems to be becoming less of a priority for people these days,’’ he said.
‘‘It doesn’t help that we’ve struggled on the field either. I’ve been on both sides of the fence ... I’ve been involved in successful and unsuccessful twos teams but it all turns around eventually.
‘‘Hopefully we can have more players jump on board and support the club by pulling on the boots.’’
King was thankful for all those who have helped over the past couple of seasons to ensure they field a reserves side.
‘‘Last year we would’ve used about 90 players throughout the season,’’ he said.
‘‘This year we’ve had about 70 different blokes line up and that’s because we have tried to avoid using thirds players this season.
‘‘The thirds are set for a finals appearance so as a club, we don’t want to risk them getting injured ahead of their charge for a flag.’’
At The Track racing columnist and former Deniliquin Pastoral Times sports journalist Jim Zealley said he believed Saturday was the first time the Rams had forfeited a reserves game in their 84-year history.