This Australia Day, Corowa is set to host its biggest Australia Day celebration yet with over 500 people expected to join Australia Day Ambassador, Ron Delezio for the festivities.
Ron Delezio’s speaking experience is from the heart. His story has inspired everyone from executives to crowds at major events.
In 2003, he and his wife Carolyn, watched daughter Sophie Delezio fight for her life in hospital after been badly injured when she trapped under a burning car which had crashed into her childcare centre in Sydney. Sophie survived, but made national headlines a second time when she was again badly injured in a road accident in 2006.
In 2004, Ron and his wife Carolyn founded the Day of Difference Foundation to help critically injured kids and their families. Ron will take everyone on his family’s journey and pass on the lessons learnt and the importance of being strong in the face of adversity.
Federation Council Mayor Pat Bourke said Council is looking forward to welcoming Ron as part of the day celebrations in Corowa.
“We are honoured to have Ron attend our special Australia Day activities, as well as present the School Achievement Awards during the official ceremonies,” he said.
“Australia Day is so important to our communities, it’s a time to stop and reflect on what we have achieved and what we can proud of in the Federation Council.
“The Rotary Club of Corowa has partnered with Federation Council to ensure there is lots planned for the whole family and we encourage everyone to come along and be part of the fun.”
Residents, friends, family and visitors are invited to celebrate everything that’s great about living in Australia at this year’s Australia Day celebrations, to be held at Rowers Park, Corowa from 10:00 am on Friday 26 January and will include an official ceremony, presentation of Australia Day awards, live music, family entertainment, a ski show and much more!
Australia Day is an alcohol and glass free event. Please bring a chair and/or blanket.
For further information, visit Council’s website (www.federationcouncil.nsw.gov.au)
Federation Council Australia Day event details
When: Friday, 26 January, 2018 at 10:00 am
Location: Rowers Park, Bridge Road Corowa
Activities: • Presentation of Federation Council’s 2018 Australia Day Awards
• Official Ceremony including Welcome to the Country, National Anthem and Ambassador Address
• Ski Show and Rowing Exhibition
• Live Music
• Multi-cultural food stalls including Indian, Nepalese, Turkish, Welsh and Aussie BBQ
• Family fun with river float, cricket, jumping castle and face painting
Australia Day awards nomination for 2017
• Federation Council Community Project of the Year Howlong Opportunity Shop
• Federation Council Community Event of the Year Annual Corowa Swim-in
and Military Vehicle Gathering
• Federation Council Local Achiever Award Daryl Davey, Fraser Droop, Liam Summons,
John and Andrea Barwick, Peter Seeliger
• Federation Council Young Citizen of the Year: Frazer Droop and Liam Summons
• Federation Council Citizen of the Year: John and Andrea Barwick, Peter Seeliger
and Sandi Habermann