Close call for races

January 12, 2018

Sarah Walsh and Salt N Pepper took out the Rosewood Park Agistment Pony Trot Final.

Sarah Walsh (right) and Salt N Pepper took out the Rosewood Park Agistment Pony Trot Final. She celebrates with Harness Racing Victoria pony trots convenor Nikkita Ross.

Trackside host Rod Booker (right) presents Ronald and Robyn Calleja with the Murray Valley Locksmiths Vicbred Platinum Mares Sprint after their 4YO mare Ismaha salutes.

Trackside host Rod Booker and Peter Berger present a trophy in memory of Peter’s father Cec to Racing Group’s Tim Bunning and John Anderson.

Joetac driven by young cadet Reinsman and owner Ben Woodsford delivers a win to Lemnos trainer, Russell Jack and earned himself drive of the day donated by Adele Watson.

Ismaha reined by Greg Sugars pips Kamwood Izzy in a photo finish in the Murray Valley Locksmith Vicbred Platinum Mares Sprint Championship (Heat 7).

Flying Moth reined by Damian Wilson for trainer Emma Stewart chalks up a double for the stable in the Benstud Standardbreds Pace (1st Div).

Concealment from Emma Stewart's Smythes Creek stable scores in the Cec Berger Memorial 3YO Pace in a classic drive by Mark Pitt.

Cobram Harness Racing Club’s cup meeting on Sunday nearly didn’t get off the ground.

The meeting was in doubt until half an hour before the first race when the Harness Racing Victoria vet, who was tossing up due to the industry’s heat policy, finally gave the green light for it to proceed.

‘‘It was really touch and go,’’ club secretary Bob Watson said.

Watson said the temperature, which nudged into the early 40s, had an impact on crowd numbers, but conceded the weather was something the club couldn’t control.

‘‘From what we were expecting the crowd was disappointing, really,’’ he said.

‘‘We had umbrella packages which had been purchased mainly by older people who cancelled because of the heat.’’

But Watson said the meeting was still deemed a success, particularly the racing side of it.

‘‘There was some really keen racing,’’ he said.

He said the club’s decision to break from recent tradition and stage its cup meeting in early January instead of between Boxing Day and New Year’s Day would still apply next year.

The club decided on the change of date after Watson surveyed local motels, hotels and park owners who indicated busier times for their businesses were in early January after the Christmas-new year break.

‘‘We are certainly looking to give it another try next year and see what happens. Hopefully the weather will be more suitable,’’ Watson said.

One glitch encountered during the meeting was the failure of on-course broadcaster Dan Milecki’s call of the cup for Sky Channel.

The Sky Channel vehicle at the meeting encountered technical problems just before the cup was run and the host at the studios had to take up the call.

Milecki’s on-course call wasn’t affected.

More in Regional
Login Sign Up

Dummy text