Drought equals roadside grazing

By Robert Muir

Roadside grazing is allowed over a specific section of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction but a permit must be issued beforehand.

The Local Land Service controls the issue of permits but as part of the process, applicants need council approval prior to the Land Service making a decision and issuing the permit.

“With the impact of the drought conditions, council has been inundated with requests to authorize roadside grazing,” Federation Council’s acting director infrastructure and environment Steve Carmichael told council’s monthly meeting on December 18.

Forms are available on Federation Council’s website and are self explanatory.