National

Further homes lost to Kangaroo Island fire

By AAP Newswire

A further nine homes have been confirmed lost to the Kangaroo Island bushfire which continues to burn along its 120-kilometre eastern flank.

The blaze is still uncontrolled with a number of flare-ups reported on Sunday and Monday and further expected over coming days.

However, no homes or lives are considered at immediate risk with warning levels maintained as a simple bushfire advice.

The latest damage assessment takes the total number of homes lost on the island to 65, with the fire also claiming two lives. More farm buildings and cars were also confirmed destroyed on Monday.

Country Fire Service chief officer Mark Jones said he expected outbreaks to continue across the fire zone, particularly in the afternoons as temperatures increased, probably for the next two weeks.

However, Mr Jones said a forecast wind shift on Monday afternoon caused by a trough would give crews an opportunity to better tackle some of the existing areas of concern and keep the fire in check.

"This is painstaking, difficult and dangerous work," he said.

The CFS said about 390 firefighters and 83 fire trucks were on the ground, supported by 130 farm fire units.

Five water-bombing aircraft were also in action, with four observation aircraft helping target their efforts.

About 400 other support personnel remained on the island, including more than 300 from the Australian Defence Force.

Mr Jones said crew rotations were continuing to ensure the wellbeing of firefighters on the island.

"We're trying to rotate crews as much as possible, but to their credit, people keep putting their hand up and volunteering to go," he said.

"I expressed my concerns long before this fire about fatigue to our crews. They have been fantastic.

"At this time I'm not concerned. We've got lots of resources on the island.

"But, of course, I'm sensitive to the demands that have been placed against these volunteers."

Flare-ups across the fire ground were also hampering efforts to restore power to all residents.

More than 600 properties remained without electricity, with SA Power Networks reassessing damage to equipment after renewed fire activity in some areas.

The island's north was the company's focus

The electricity company said its work on Monday was focused on the island's north, as access to the southern fire zone was still restricted.

Fresh crews had arrived including electrical mechanics, powerline workers, inspectors, technical officers and support staff.

Two army helicopters were also deployed to fly vital supplies to remote areas, with the defence force confirming plans to expand its presence to help with clean-up and recovery.

So far the blaze has burnt through more than 210,000 hectares inside a 588-kilometre perimeter since being sparked by lightning on December 20.

It has destroyed much of the prized Flinders Chase National Park along with areas of farmland and scrub.